NETWORKING WELCOME BREAKFAST
IS MEXICO STILL FEELING THE GROWING PAINS OF MOVING FROM A CFE-DOMINATED ELECTRICITY MARKET TO A COMPETITIVE MARKET?
● Are private companies still intimidated by the former monopoly?
● Is there a sense of an unfair advantage for CFE?
● Where will continual transmission investment come from? If from the private sector, can favorable terms be made to attract developers and investors?
● Is the development of a reliable transmission grid a prerequisite for further participation by international companies?
WHAT ASSURANCE DO DEVELOPERS HAVE THAT THEIR PROJECTS WILL BE ABLE TO GET COMPLETED?
● What will happen to electricity producers who failed to get their power plant developments off the ground?
● Will the regulator step in to resolve regional issues that have prevented these projects from being built and operational?
● What will be the repercussions for failure to honor contracts?
● Will 2018 be a year of reckoning for electricity generators with CFE contracts?
● Will future project bids learn lessons from previous failures?
NETWORKING COFFEE BREAK
THE ENERGY STORAGE IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS, BUT ARE THERE TAKERS?
● Are foreign investors keen to invest in storage projects?
● Is the transmission plan in order to execute this project established and realistic, or is some serious rethinking needed before projects can break ground?
● Does this pave the way for potential battery production?
● What is the timeline for the development of this plan?
WHAT IMPACT WILL MEXICO-U.S. RELATIONS HAVE ON THE ELECTRICITY GRID?
● Are the NAFTA renegotiations helping or hurting Mexico’s ability to receive natural gas and electricity at competitive rates?
● Will the Nogales grid project come to fruition and is there more potential for further cross-border grid projects?
● Will U.S. power companies warm up to direct investments as the market continues to evolve?
DID THE FIRST MEDIUM-TERM POWER AUCTION MEET EXPECTATIONS AND WHAT IMPROVEMENTS NEED TO BE MADE?
● Was the auction successful in establishing more competitive electricity prices than under the previous system?
● Are there major price discrepancies between the eight trading zones?
● Are buyers satisfied with the pricing algorithm in conjunction with the trading zones?
● Are there concerns among buyers of having marketers without generating assets participating in the auctions?
NETWORKING COFFEE BREAK
IS THE COUNTRY ON COURSE FOR THE 2024 TARGET OF 35% RENEWABLE ENERGY?
● Has the voluntary cap and trade initiative shifted companies toward more renewable sources of energy?
● What has the November auction yielded for bidders and buyers?
● How will investors overcome the regional barriers to complete projects?
● Are local politics making it difficult to get access to areas of Mexico that are rich in solar and wind?